Add to Technorati Favorites
I would encourage you to do something every week to help with your personal preparedness. Learn something, buy something, teach something or do something. Doing a little each week will pay off .

Friday, September 19, 2008

Drying Apples


We have lots of apple tree's that are great producers. I have already made applesauce, canned apples, apple pie filling, apple butter and apple leather. So today I am drying more apples.
The tramp is a great place to do this. I find all the available trays, slice the apples and let the sun do it's work. We are in Idaho so I don't know how many days we will have that will be warm enough to do this. So I have to hustle! You can dip the apples in a 1/4 lemon juice to 3/4 water solution to keep them from turning brown if you like. I didn't dip the apples in the pictures and they are doing ok.

Dried apples are a great treat but don't eat too many! I have seen numerous people who did. So if you dry apples make note of the average number of slices per apple and put that on the container, so whoever eats them doesn't eat too many. Our bodies reacts the same way with too many fresh apples as it does with dried ones.

No comments: