It is vital that we all learn how to cook with the items we have stored. In order to do that we must have a collection of recipes that will work using our storage items.
Challenge this week for all of us
Gather your preparedness recipes and look at them to see which ones are really usable for your family and organize them
- If there are recipes in your stack of papers that you will never use, get rid of them, clean this out.
- Divide them into appropriate categories
- Put them in a file folder or binder so they are ready to be used.
- You probably have recipes that you use now that can be used. If you don't want to write the entire recipe out, make a list of those recipes and put them in the appropriate section.
Practice cooking - a few ideas:
- If you use a pancake mix, make pancakes from scratch.
- Make some granola - it is a great snack or breakfast
- Choose a recipe you use that is a ready to eat recipe and adapt it to using your storage items.
- One day a week practice cooking a recipe that is totally using storage items so you can see what items you may be missing and your family can get used to the changes.
Several years ago one of our daughters was diagnosed with a soy allergy. Soy is broken down and bits and pieces of it used all over ready to eat foods - to preserve or extend it. She was allergic not to the whole soy but to the pieces. (25% of Americans are allergic to different degree's). I cut out all ready to use foods, it was amazing! I didn't use that much I didn't think. but it was a major cultural shock for me as the main chef in our house. I had to learn new cooking skills. It was the best thing that happened to me and us preparedness wise as far as cooking with storage.
Preparedness is something that is easy to put off doing because it isn't an iminent need. BUT when that need comes and you don't have recipes or resources to use, it will add to whatever crisis you may be in.
So - your assignment this week.....should you choose to accept it.....
1 - Organize your storage recipes
2 - Cook one meal with your storage foods - continue this weekly!!!
Have a great week!